When I’m Not Writing…

…I’m gluing things to other things.

I’m obsessed with decoden. It’s just so over the top and gleefully ridiculous. I’m happily above the age of majority, but adorable decoden pieces somehow cause me to revert to my inner eighties child (“OMG IT’S SOMEHOW BOTH GLOWY NEON AND SUGARY PASTEL”). They also appeal to me as a wannabe Victorian (“DECORATE ALL THE THINGS!“).

Seeing as this is my debut year, back in January I put all of my craft supplies in a huge trunk out in the garage. I knew that I’d have little time to sit around and make things. Still, I got the itch a few weeks ago, so I decided to give decoden another go. I’d already made one piece using a kit a few years ago. Behold – the UberGirly Nintendo DS.

 

 

As you can see in full view, the glue is messy. I had a lot of fun with this project, but it was a learning process. I didn’t have any specialized tools, or even any idea what I was doing. (Hell, I had no idea about mixing the epoxy. I thought they sent me two tubes of glue.)

So naturally, I decided to do something even BIGGER this time around. My laptop.

 

 

Behold, the pink laptop, a gift from the awesome Josh. But alas, so plain. Until now!

First, I covered the laptop with a clear protective cover. I may be new to this rodeo, but even I know that one should not apply epoxy directly to the surface of anything. Unless one is supremely dedicated to The Rhinestone Cause. Because it’s never coming off.

 

 

I’ll admit, this is the only time I measured anything during this project.

 

 

Even my scissors are fancy. Victoria, represent.

Then I assembled my supplies.

 

 

A lot of these are, I admit, probably not “pure decoden” – they’re rhinestone stickers from the scrapbooking aisle. However, these products worked for me for a variety of reasons. A. I am not the most patient thing ever. B. They offered inspiration in convenient “just get on there already” form. C. They allowed me to envision the end product just by browsing through a store. D. I’m lazy. (I did apply all of them with actual epoxy – I didn’t just stick them on.)

 

 

So. I started gluing.

 

 

And this is the finished product. I was going to sit there and fill in every square inch of the thing with rhinestones, but by the time I got to this point I realized that filling the surface with clear stones (as I had planned to do) would obliterate the clear stone designs already in place. So it’s more of an open-work design. For now.

I had a lot of fun, and made some progress – you can see that the glue is neater this time around. I think my next attempt will be one of my iPods, and I think for that I will invest in some actual decoden equipment – tweezers, stone-movers, etc.

Share the love! Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on FacebookShare on Google+

5 Comments

  1. The Bookish Brunette
    Jul 5, 2011

    Uuum I LOVE it!! Want to do mine????

  2. Miss Habel
    Miss Habel
    Jul 5, 2011

    I don’t trust myself! I’m a horrible klutz. XD

  3. The Bookish Brunette
    Jul 6, 2011

    I totally trust you! ;)

  4. Thao Huynh
    Jul 7, 2011

    YOU ARE SO TALENTED! AND STYLISH! AND LOVELY! AND SO COOL! C:

    I’M EXCITED TO READ YOUR BOOK (even better, it releases on my birthday)!

    And thank you for being so awesome. That is all.

  5. Miss Habel
    Miss Habel
    Jul 7, 2011

    Aww, thank you! And that’s awesome about your birthday – happy future birthday! You should have cake today, just because. :D

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: